|Rope bondage||Predicament bondage|
|Rope bondage (functional)||Suspension bondage|
|Rope bondage (decorative)||Mummification|
|Rope harness||Breast bondage|
A hog-tie is a bondage position where the person being tied has their hands tied or cuffed together, their ankles tied or cuffed together, and then their wrists and ankles are drawn towards each other, either in front of them or, more commonly, behind them.
Figures 1 and 2 on the right show hog-ties using handcuffs and ankle-cuffs. They show the hand-cuffs directly attached to the ankle-cuffs. This style of hog-tie, whether done with cuffs or rope, suffers from a relative weakness of the wrists compared to the ankles. This can mean that a significant strain is placed on the wrists. Such a hog-tie can quickly become uncomfortable.
In many cases it is preferable to separately restrain the wrists behind the persons back and then separately tie or cuff their ankles together and then draw their ankles up behind their back using a rope attached to their shoulders or, in some cases, head.
Figure 3 shows a woman in a hog-tie lying face down on a table. If we look closely we can see that her wrists are tied together, but they aren't attached to her ankles. Instead, her ankles are tied together and are attached to rope which loops around her body and over her shoulders. As it passes behind her this rope runs over her wrist rope to keep her wrists firmly pressed against her back. This style of tie does not burden the girl's wrists and instead puts the ankle strain on her stronger torso and shoulders.
A hog-tie effectively immobilises the person. It is particularly effective at making the legs useless as the person in the hog-tie can't walk, crawl or even kick.
Figure 4 shows a woman in a hog-tie propped up against a wall. Tied as she is, perhaps the only movements she can do would allow her to sidle along against the wall. Note that in this case her arms are tied to her ankles, but that the rope has been wrapped around her forearms all the way from her wrists to her elbows thus distributing the strain and taking most of it away from her wrists.
Figure 5 shows a woman in a hog-tie with the rope from the ankles this time being attached to a leather head harness she is wearing, and to a rope wrapped around her upper torso. We can see her wrists separately tied together, not under strain, and pressed against her buttocks by the ankle rope.
Figure 6 shows a woman in a hog-tie, but this time the rope from her ankles is attached to the hair on her head. This can be a form of predicament bondage where she can either relieve the strain on her neck by holding her ankles up, or can relieve the strain on her knees by pulling her ankles up with her neck, but not both at the same time. This particular photo very clearly shows the wrists and ankles being tied completely separately.
Notes on performing a hog-tie
In its most common form the hog-tie is performed in three separate steps:
- Tie the wrists together behind the bottom's or submissive back,
- Tie their ankles together,
- Use a rope to slowly pull their ankles up with their legs bending backwards at the knees.
In this position the person may have their knees held apart using a spreader bar allowing some sexual or anal access while they are helpless.
While it's possible for some people to be tied so that their wrists and ankles actually meet, many people lack this flexibility. Hence using some sort of arrangement in step 3 (above) to gradually draw their ankles up allows you to create the right amount of discomfort without harm.
Before performing a hog-tie, ask your partner about:
- Any problems with flexibility they may have,
- Any bodily, muscular, ligament or joint weaknesses they may have, particularly in their wrists, shoulders, elbows and knees,
- Any problems they may have with their back or spine,
- If they may have difficulty staying in a hog-tie for extended periods due to fatigue.
- Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns: The Romance and Sexual Sorcery of Sadomasochism (Philip Miller and Molly Devon)
- Two Knotty Boys Showing You The Ropes: A Step-by-Step, Illustrated Guide for Tying Sensual and Decorative Rope Bondage (Two Knotty Boys)
- Shibari You Can Use: Japanese Rope Bondage and Erotic Macramé (Lee "Bridgett" Harrington)
- The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage (Midori)